Whilst in New Zealand recently, we finally had the time and opportunity to visit the famous Wētā Workshop – special effects and props company in Wellington, NZ, better known as the guys behind LOTR (or Lord of the Rings for those not in the know!).
‘Dive head-first into a world of creativity, physical effects, and movie-making magic.’
We were always curious about visiting and it was well worth the trip! Here are some takeaways:
- Book your trip online to avoid disappointment (and also to get a better price) especially during high season – we used KLOOK which cost us NZD48 per adult
- You can also include airport transfers and lunch to your ticket price so it makes for a nice day out (The workshop in Wellington is 5 minutes from the airport so super easy to fit in just before you fly in or out)
- They also have a workshop in Auckland which is also 90 minutes long and apparently much bigger, with tickets priced at NZD59 per adult
- See all your favourite movie characters (like Orcs), hold a real sword prop (ranging from light weight, a bit heavy and quite heavy!) & listen to your informative and well spoken guide (ours had 20 years’ experience in the industry and himself played a hobbit extra in one of the movies!)
- Be ASTOUNDED with just how many movies Wētā has been involved in – most big scale directors will only work with Weta when making movies
- You get led from one room to the next before finally getting to the room where you can touch anything you want – you also get a super interesting tour of how the face prosthetics are made – sometimes an actor needs several prosthetics a day and each one takes so long to make!
- The final doorway before the exit was to a room which had a lovely lady in it espousing the benefits and ease of using aluminium foil to create structures and art work for young ones. Here are 5 amazing tin foil projects you will fall in love with.
- Sign up for the Wētā workshops for some added artistry and to stir those creative juices!
- Little ones will get a kick if you round off your trip with a lovely frolic through the Miramar Fairy Village nearby (about a 15min walk for little legs)
- Head to the Chocolate Frog for a lovely outdoor lunch or have a seaside experience at Scorch-o-rama
- There are heaps of walks and trails around Wellington that make it a fantastic place to visit or live. You must also visit the Te Papa museum which has a permanent Gallipoli war exhibit (yes the giant creations were made by Wētā!)
This article contains affiliate links. By purchasing your tickets (at no extra cost!) through the link, it helps us to maintain this website.